MAINTAINING YOUR AR15 RIFLE
Before carrying out any procedure with any firearm, always 'clear the firearm'.
The following procedure is the correct method for clearing the AR15.
- Place the selector to 'SAFE'. Note - if the rifle is not cocked the selector cannot be moved to safe.
- Remove the magazine.
- Lock the bolt open.
- Ensure selector is on 'SAFE'.
- Check chamber is clear.
- On a range,
- show rifle is clear,
- insert breach flag and/or place rifle in case.
- If the rifle is to be stored,
- Allow bolt to go forward on an empty chamber under spring pressure,
- Move selector to 'FIRE', and squeeze trigger to release hammer spring tension.
PLEASE NOTE: The following procedures are for the UK legal (Section 1) versions of the AR15-type of rifle and so are incomplete if you shoot a semi-auto or full-auto version of the rifle. Please refer to your rifle manufacturer's instructions.
|DISASSEMBLE YOUR RIFLE - click here for an illustrated step-by-step guide|
|Before you start, Clear your rifle as above|
- Remove the sling.
- Remove the handguards if dirt or corrosion is suspected underneath.
- Push the takedown (rear) pin as far as it goes.
- Push the receiver pivot (forward) pin.
- Separate the upper and lower receivers.
- Pull back the charging handle assembly and remove the bolt carrier and bolt (if you have a side charging version then you will most likely need to remove the side charging handle first).
- Remove the charging handle by pulling back and down.
- Move the bolt assembly to the locked position by pushing in the bolt assembly. Remove the firing pin retaining pin. Do not open or close the split end of retaining pin.
- Catch the firing pin as it drops out of the rear of the bolt carrier.
- Give the bolt cam pin a one-quarter turn and remove it by lifting it out.
- Remove the bolt assembly from the bolt carrier assembly by pulling forward.
- Disassemble the extractor and spring assembly only if necessary. Remove the extractor pin by using a dummy round or, at a pinch, the firing pin to push it out. Do not damage the tip of the firing pin.
- Lift out the extractor and spring. Do not remove the spring from the extractor.
- Press in the buffer, depress the retainer, and release the buffer.
- Remove the buffer and action spring. Separate the buffer from the spring.
No further disassembly is necessary.
|CLEAN, AND LUBRICATE YOUR RIFLE|
- Clean the barrel from the receiver end, going through the flash suppressor, and do not reverse direction while in the bore.
- Clean the barrel locking lugs in the upper receiver.
- Clean the buffer and inside lower receiver extension, making sure to clean the drain hole with a pipe cleaner.
- Brush dirt and powder from the trigger mechanism and lower receiver. Necessary if you shoot .22lr semi-auto or if you've had blown primer or case rupture.
- Clean the bolt carrier group. Not usually necessary (see 4. above).
- Clean the outer and inner surfaces of the bolt carrier. Clean the carrier key. Not usually necessary (see 4. above).
- Clean the firing pin recess and firing pin. Clean the firing pin hole with a pipe cleaner. Clean any carbon deposits and dirt from the locking lugs. Clean the areas behind the bolt ring and under the lip of the extractor.
|INSPECT YOUR RIFLE BEFORE ASSEMBLY.
BOLT - Check for cracks or fractures especially in the cam pin hole area; bolts that contain pits extending into the firing pin hole need replacing.
FIRING PIN - Bent, cracked or blunted end.
CAM PIN - Cracked, chipped or missing.
FIRING PIN RETAINING PIN - Bent, rusted, badly worn.
EXTRACTOR AND EXTRACTOR SPRING - Check extractor for chipped or broken edges in the area of the lip that engages the cartridge rim.
ASSEMBLE YOUR RIFLE
- Insert the spring and buffer.
- Insert the extractor and spring. Push the extractor pin in
- Stagger the bolt ring gaps (not necessary in the single-shot UK version - some rifles do not have gas rings).
- Slide the bolt into the carrier until the bolt cam pin hole in both the bolt carrier and the bolt are aligned with the extractor in the correct position.
- Put the bolt cam pin in the bolt carrier and then turn it one-quarter turn.
- Drop in and seat the firing pin.
- Put the firing pin retaining pin in the bolt carrier.
- Pull the bolt back to unlock bolt.
- Engage, then push the charging handle part of the way in to the upper receiver.
- Slide the bolt carrier into the upper receiver, and push the charging handle and bolt carrier group together into the upper receiver.
- Join the upper and lower receivers. Engage the receiver pivot pin.
- Close the upper and lower receiver groups. Push in the takedown pin.
- Put the handguards in place.
- Replace the sling.
|DISASSEMBLE THE MAGAZINE
- Release the base catch.
- Remove the base.
To remove the spring and follower, jiggle the spring and follower.
Clean and lubricate. Wipe dirt from tube, spring, and follower, then lightly lubricate the spring.
|ASSEMBLE THE MAGAZINE
- Jiggle the spring and follower to install them in the magazine.
- Slide the base under all four tabs and make sure the print is on the outside.